- Electric heating for a terrarium: options
Cold-blooded animals: snakes, lizards, turtles, etc.. are not to everyone’s liking, but many admire their beauty and give birth as pets. The same applies to various types of exotic spiders, snails, etc.
The peculiarity of cold-blooded animals is that their body temperature depends on the ambient temperature, therefore, when it is too hot or cold, they fall into hibernation and cannot function normally.
Heating should be organized in such a way that there is a warm and cold corner in the terrarium, so your pet will be able to choose the most optimal conditions for himself. In a warm corner, the temperature of his body will rise, in a cold corner. he will give, so you will create a diverse living environment that will positively affect the well-being of the animal.
In addition, the majority of the inhabitants of terrariums are exotic animals, they prefer temperatures above room temperature, so it is so important to take care of the heating device for the terrarium.
In this article we will consider heating options used for the most common pets in our country living in terrariums, as well as for exotic pets who need additional sources of heating. We will analyze how and how to heat the terrarium for:
- snails, turtles;
- monitor lizard, iguana, gecko, chameleon, lizard, newt;
- snakes, python;
- lemur, hedgehog, guinea pig, chinchilla, etc.
An electric heater for the terrarium is the most convenient and practical option, so below we will consider and analyze the advantages and disadvantages of varieties of this type of heating.
Electric heating for a terrarium: options
- Lamps. The simplest and most inexpensive option, used as electric heating for a terrarium, but it is not suitable for everyone. Not all pets love bright light. In addition, at night, lighting must be turned off altogether so that the animal can rest, but then the temperature in the terrarium will drop.
- Ceramic heaters. In this case, everything will depend on the size of your terrarium, because depending on the power of the heater, the area he heats will change. As a rule, it is difficult to choose the best option: for large terrariums such heaters are ineffective, for small ones they are too strong.
- Heating pad. Here you can choose from two options: an ordinary household heating pad, which people use, and a special heating pad for reptiles. Practice shows that a heating pad is much more convenient for people, it does not need to be built into the bottom, just put it under it, if necessary, it can be easily removed, cleaned, replaced. However, such devices often consume more power than their infrared counterparts.
- Infrared underfloor heating. This is the most convenient, economical and safe for health option, due to the fact that infrared heating is similar to solar, it is considered optimal for pets. Such a heater for a terrarium with a temperature regulator will help to control the heating level in automatic mode. It is not difficult to make an infrared warm floor for a terrarium with your own hands: installation can be done manually without the help of specialists.
Infrared underfloor heating for the terrarium: the main advantages
- Infrared radiation will heat the terrarium without drying the air, because in the terrarium it is very important to maintain the desired humidity indicator.
- You can install such a heating system pointwise, it will be precisely those places where the film is installed. So you can easily create a cold and warm corner for your pet.
- Radiation of the infrared type will not only not harm your pet, but will have a beneficial effect on its health, since such radiation is similar in nature to the sun.
- Thanks to the thermostat, you can set the desired temperature, which the device will maintain in automatic mode. Some models of temperature controllers can work according to certain programs / heating modes, which will be performed on a given time.
- Warm infrared floors consume a minimum of electricity, so they are an economical way to heat.
- Infrared film floors are extremely durable, their service life reaches 20-30 years. When properly handled, they do not fail, and over time, the film can be removed and used for other purposes.
You can use warm floors not only as a source of useful heat for the most common reptiles and amphibians, but also as a heater in the terrarium for:
- agamas, banana-eater, felzum, tenon tail, eublefar, crocodile;
- poison frogs;
- snake, vipers, snake, yellow-nose;
- lori, degu, dzhungarika, gerbil;
- reptiles and exotic animals of other species.
Underfloor heating is the best option also for molluskaria heating: unlike lamps that can’t constantly maintain the required temperature, and ceramic heaters, heating pads, which can cause burns to pets, heating IR film eliminates the possibility of damage to snails, ensuring uniform heating.
Do not be afraid of the difficulties of installing this system of underfloor heating, it is simple and quick to install it. If you follow the instructions that come with the floor, then you can do it yourself
How to make a heater based on a film warm floor with your own hands?
1. First of all, measure the heated surface of the terrarium.