- Types of heaters for terrarium
Those who are not enthusiastic about cats and dogs choose more exotic creatures as pets: snakes, lizards. Some like spiders, snails and other insects. But, if for a comfortable life a dog or cat is enough to feed and walk them on time, then in order to create conditions for living of cold-blooded animals, it is necessary to organize heating of their cages or terrarium.
Monitoring the temperature of exotic pets is extremely important, because otherwise they can fall into hibernation or get sick.
Proper organization of heating implies the presence of warm and cold corners in the terrarium. This will allow your pet to choose the conditions that he needs right now. Changes in body temperature positively affect the well-being and mood of the animal.
Terrarium heating must be arranged for one more reason: almost all exotic animals prefer a temperature higher than that provided by central heating.
The purpose of our article is to tell the owners of exotic pets about the intricacies of organizing the heating of terrariums and how to properly organize the heating of the terrarium with your own hands. how to create additional sources of heating for those animals that do not have room temperature familiar to you for a comfortable life.
So, for whom will this article be useful? For those who are thinking about how and how to heat the terrarium for:
- monitor lizard / lizard, gecko, newt, chameleon, iguana;
- python, snakes;
- hedgehog, lemur, chinchilla, guinea pig;
- the spider.
An electric-based terrarium heater is the simplest, most affordable and economical heating option. The modern market offers many varieties of this device. Let’s deal with all the pros and cons of each of them.
Types of heaters for terrarium
- Lamps. Electrical heating for a lamp-based terrarium is the easiest and most inexpensive way to heat extra. But, choosing lamps in the terrarium, it is worth remembering that many pets do not like bright light. In addition, when you turn off the lights at night, the temperature in the terrarium will drop and the animal may be cold.
- Ceramic Heaters. Electric heating for this type of terrarium involves choosing a heater based on the size of the terrarium that will be heated. As a rule, they are ineffective for heating large terrariums, and too powerful for small ones.
- Heating pad. For exotic pets, you can choose one of two types of heating pads: ordinary household heating pads or special heating pads for reptiles. Plus household heating pads. they do not need to be mounted, just put them under the bottom of the terrarium, and if necessary, they are easy to remove. The disadvantage of this type of heating pads is a large consumption of electricity. Special heating pads are more economical, but installing them requires a lot of time and effort.
- Infrared underfloor heating. This type of heating is considered one of the most economical and convenient. In addition, infrared radiation is not only absolutely safe for pets, but also has a beneficial effect on their health and well-being, as it is similar to sunlight. A big plus of the warm floor system is the ability to control the temperature, which will be maintained automatically. To make such a heater for the terrarium with your own hands is not difficult.
The advantages of underfloor heating
- IR radiation quickly heats the air, but maintains a comfortable level of humidity, which is important for exotic animals.
- It is not necessary to place the underfloor heating system around the entire perimeter of the terrarium, just install it in one corner. Thus, you can organize cold and warm corners, which, no doubt, will please your pet.
- Since infrared radiation is similar to solar radiation, it will favorably affect the health, well-being and mood of a pet.
- Choosing such a heater for a terrarium with a temperature regulator, you can manually set the desired temperature. The thermostat will maintain it at a certain level in automatic mode.
- Infrared floor heating is one of the most economical types of additional heating, as it consumes a minimum of electricity.
- The service life of the underfloor heating is more than 20 years. During this time, you can apply the film not only in the terrarium, but also in another place where heating is needed.
IR heating film is the best option when organizing molluskaria heating: lamps, heating pads and ceramic heaters can burn snails, and not all of them can maintain the required temperature in a constant mode. Warm floors help to solve this problem, providing uniform heating of the molluskaria and eliminating the possibility of damage, burns.
The underfloor heating system can be used as a heater in the terrarium for:
- agamas, crocodile, felzuma, banana-eater, tenon tail, eublefar, woodworms;
- vipers, snake, yellowfoot, snake;
- Dzhungarika, Lori, gerbil, degu;
- reptiles, other exotic insects and animals.
A heater for a terrarium based on a warm floor can be installed without the help of specialists: installation is simple and does not take much time, you should only carefully read the instructions and clearly follow the instructions in it.
How to mount a warm floor in a terrarium?
1. Measure the area of the terrarium where the underfloor heating system will be mounted.