The most popular are silica glass terrariums glued with silicone glue. There are a number of advantages:
– the materials used (glass and silicone glue) are non-toxic and suitable for keeping any kind of reptile;
– the relative simplicity of cutting and processing glass allows you to create terrariums of any shape and design;
– the availability of raw materials and their low cost determine the relatively low cost of the future terrarium;
– the strength of the entire structure and the tightness of the seams allow you to create any landscape (including terrariums with unshared "shore" and "reservoir") and the type of microclimate;
– properly glued terrarium does not leak and does not dry out, therefore it does not require time and money for preventive maintenance;
– cleaning and disinfection of the terrarium is not very difficult;
– good visibility allows you to watch snakes from anywhere.
However, glass also has some significant drawbacks. for example, fragility. In this regard, glass faces are sensitive to impacts and can crack with the formation of sharp cutting fragments, for example, when aggressive large snakes are thrown onto the walls of a terrarium. For the same reason, it is not recommended to use large natural stones, shifting layers of heavy soil, driftwood and other bulky objects that are not fixed and threatening to fall in the interior arrangement of the terrarium.
Solid workpieces for the faces of the terrarium are selected taking into account its size. Glass cutting is performed on a horizontal smooth stand using a standard glass cutter and a square. The places of the cuts are carefully measured, since the glass for glued terrariums must be cut very accurately. Let us clarify that the wheels of the glass cutter are cut not directly near the square, but at a distance of 2.5 mm. The glass cutter is installed on the upper end of the square and move it down under strong and uniform pressure. Glass so cut is broken. All consecutively cut faces should be intact, without cracks and punctures. To avoid cuts, the edges of the glass are sanded with sandpaper. Before sticky glass degrease with acetone or gasoline.
Before directly connecting the glasses, be sure to consider the size and location of the ventilation surfaces. It is desirable that there be at least two of them. Some authors recommend cutting round ventilation surfaces, which gives the terrarium a spectacular look without significant loss of stability. Similar work is done with a circular glass cutter. Air holes can be closed before the terrarium is fully assembled. We recommend using only a fine metal mesh (preferably aluminum). The dimensions of the mesh to be cut should be slightly larger than the vent itself. At the intended place, the grid is glued with silicone glue.
When creating a large terrarium for large and restless snakes (for example, snakes and ordinary snakes), it is better to install fans, and it is recommended to make all the walls of the terrarium whole.
In practice, various types of silicone glue have worked well. Before work, be sure to read the instructions for use of this material. Pay attention to the temperature limits in which the processing is carried out, as well as the special safety requirements. Perform all work in a well-ventilated area.
For snakes that will live in your terrarium, only those adhesives whose solvent is based on acetic acid are considered harmless. You can also use imported silicones for aquariums, for example: Silikon klej (Poland), Akva stabil (Germany), Interpet Aquarium Silicone (Great Britain), Silastic 732 PTV, Perenator Aquarium Silicon (USA), etc.
Shrimp Macrobrachium. the most formidable aquarium shrimp