- Python house
- How to make and arrange a terrarium for a red-eared, land tortoise: drawings, description, photo
- How to make and design a plexiglass terrarium for a lizard, gecko, agama, iguana, chameleon, snake, snake?
- How to make and arrange a terrarium for Achatina snails?
- How to make and arrange a terrarium for a tarantula spider, ants, Madagascar cockroaches, a mantis?
- How to make and arrange a terrarium for rodents, a hamster?
- What helps maintain moisture in the terrarium?
- How to make a temperature of 33 degrees in a terrarium?
- How to make and design a large terrarium from an aquarium for plants and flowers?
- How to make and arrange a terrarium with your own hands from a can, bottle, plastic
- How to make and design an eternal mini terrarium from a light bulb?
- Ideas for hanging and table terrariums: photos
Many ask how to make a terrarium for python. Not so often you can meet your friends or acquaintances with your own house for exotic animals. Especially when it contains python. The first thing that comes to mind to the average man at the mention of pythons is a large and dangerous snake. Experienced owners describe their favorites as pleasant and calm creatures. To achieve a pleasant and long life for your pet, it is important to seriously approach the arrangement of favorable living conditions.
Python is a cold-blooded creature, it is important to know how to make a terrarium with your own hands. This means that what is the temperature of the environment, such is it in python. Therefore, it is very important to maintain the temperature within 27 degrees Celsius. Experienced owners recommend placing a ceramic heated element near the python’s home. Python will be happy to warm up near him, but, at the same time, he can crawl into a cool corner without risk of overheating. You should take a closer look at purchasing a thermostat in order to precisely control the comfortable temperature in your pet’s home.
In nature, python is a hunter. The process of feeding a python should occur in the same way as in its natural habitat. It is important that whoever the python will hunt, smell of food, move as a hunter’s target, be warmer than the environment. As they grow older, the python will consume more food. A very small individual can be content with a pair of mice per week. When the python grows more than a meter, he should be given either more mice or one rat. With a python about two meters long, a big rat will be very handy.
As the python grows, you can replace the rat with a rabbit.
Before you get such an unusual cold-blooded pet, it is important to familiarize yourself with the rules of safe keeping. It is necessary to communicate with a python not only during feeding, otherwise a conditioned reflex will develop. When the python is in a good mood, you need to pick it up, you can stroke it. It is important that the snake understands the difference between feeding and socializing, so that it can distinguish its owner from a delicious dinner. It is important in no case to let children play with the python on their own, to tease or offend him.
Pythons differ in beauty, size, and appearance. But any of them requires careful care. The beauty and grace of a cold-blooded predator should be under strict control of its owner. Subject to all conditions of proper maintenance, an individual can grow to a very good size and for a long time please the household with its grace.
How to make and arrange a terrarium for a red-eared, land tortoise: drawings, description, photo
Exotic animals are well suited for keeping at home. However, for their full existence, it is necessary to create suitable conditions. For this purpose, terrariums are equipped.
Important: To keep pets in a terrarium, it is necessary to recreate an ecosystem similar to the living conditions of animals in natural conditions.
We will tell you what requirements a terrarium must meet for keeping various animals. Let’s start with the turtle. At home, you can contain land, as well as freshwater (red-eared) turtles.
The most important mistake is to keep these animals on the floor of the apartment, house. It is possible to organize a terrarium on the ground, it must have suitable characteristics. However, it is unacceptable to allow the turtle to walk around the apartment, this is harmful to the pet.
Land turtles have many species. For home maintenance, in most cases, medium-sized turtles of about 20 cm are chosen. You can independently make a terrarium for the turtle, which is necessary for this:
- Purchase and glue glass;
- Arrange ventilation;
- Hold a UV lamp;
- Pick up the soil.
For a small turtle of about 12 cm, a terrarium with a minimum size of 60 × 40 × 40 cm is necessary. But it is important to make sure that there is enough space if the turtle grows. If there will be several turtles, respectively, the size should be twice as large.
Terrarium land turtles can not be cluttered with various kinds of obstacles that will interfere with movement. At the bottom should be laid such soil:
- A mixture of sand and clay;
- Wood chips;
- Large pebbles.
For eared turtles, the size of which is within the range of 18-30 cm, a terrarium of 150-200 liters is needed. Water should occupy 3⁄4, and land. 1⁄4.
Important: For red-eared turtles, it is necessary to organize a sloping shore with no scratching texture. Water should not be lower than 20 ° C.
Turtle terrariums should be well ventilated. Two holes are made for this:
- The first is large, located on top of the terrarium;
- The second is small, on the front wall of the terrarium at the base of the ground.
Air temperature is a very important factor that should be properly organized in a terrarium. Terrarium turtles are equipped with a 60 W incandescent lamp, which is mounted on top. Bottom heating is not recommended, as it is harmful to the kidneys of the animal. The lamp should heat one corner more strongly, here the turtle will warm up and eat food (temperature about 28 ° C). In a cooler corner (about 24 ° C) a house is installed.
How to make and design a plexiglass terrarium for a lizard, gecko, agama, iguana, chameleon, snake, snake?
The lizard suborder includes all scaly ones except snakes. These include:
Snakes are descendants of lizards and stand out in a separate suborder. Many plant various lizards as pets. Many also keep snakes at home. To keep these pets, you must have a terrarium suitable for the conditions. There are a lot of varieties of lizards, snakes. Some of them live in trees, others live in the ground. Therefore, before you start a certain type of pet, it is imperative to familiarize yourself with the conditions suitable for a particular pet.
Terrariums for scaly come in this configuration:
For the manufacture of do-it-yourself terrariums, ordinary or organic glass is used. Regular glass is inferior in its characteristics to organic, since it is more fragile. For large animals, it is recommended to make terrariums with a frame made of wood or metal. Plexiglass sheets are glued together with silicone glue.
Terrarium for reptiles must be equipped with UV lamps, ventilation, must be covered with a lid so that the animal does not escape. Thermo mats are used as heating, they are placed under the ground.
For chameleons, an iguana needs to organize a tropical terrarium. There is little space for water. But you must have branches for climbing. The presence of rough surfaces is encouraged, this provides an additional opportunity for climbing.
Terrarium for the chameleon
For typical lizards, climbing branches are also required. If the lizard likes to dig into the soil, the thickness of the sand should be at least 10 cm.
For the agama, a desert terrarium should be organized. As soil. calcium sand. The temperature should be maintained within 30 ° C. A thermometer is installed to adjust. In a desert terrarium, a small container of water is necessarily placed.
Desert terrarium for agama, lizards
Water area for snakes, snakes should be equipped with water and land. On land, a shelter is required. These animals are demanding of water, its temperature should always be within 20 ° C.
The presence of plants in the terrarium is required. It is not only a decoration, but also a source of food and oxygen. Such plants are suitable for exotic animals:
In terrariums for snakes, lizards there must be high humidity.
How to make and arrange a terrarium for Achatina snails?
Achatina snails are large mollusks. It’s easy to keep, because these snails are undemanding to the conditions. Even with a temporary absence of the owner, they can feel good if taken care of in advance.
Terrarium for Achatina snails can be from ordinary or Plexiglas, you can also use a plastic container. In the "house" for snails there should be small openings for ventilation. Be sure to be sized so that the snail does not escape.
Important: Achatina snails need space for a comfortable existence. For one snail, a 3 liter container is suitable; for two snails. 5 l.
Container Equipment Requirements:
- Cover the bottom with a floral substrate without fertilizers, snails like to dig into the soil. Sand, walnut shell, coconut are suitable as a substrate. The poor layer is clay and bark.
- The soil should always be moist, but not waterlogged. The soil is sprayed from the spray daily.
- There is no need to install lighting lamps for snails. Soft diffused daylight suits them. During the day, snails hide in the substrate, and stay awake at night.
- The air temperature in the container should be around 24 ° C.
To shelter Achatina snails, fragments of flower pots, coconut shells and stones are placed inside the container. Live plants are also planted on the substrate: moss, ivy, fern, lettuce, cereals, etc.
Terrarium for Achatina snails: top view
How to make and arrange a terrarium for a tarantula spider, ants, Madagascar cockroaches, a mantis?
Insect terrariums should also have a number of specific characteristics. If done correctly, the life of insects will be comfortable and safe.
Consider how to equip terrariums for various insects.
Terrarium for tarantula:
- Keeping a tarantula at home requires a spacious terrarium. There should not be objects with a high height inside, so that the tarantula does not fall.
- Provide shelter. For this, fragments of bark, flower pots and other similar devices are suitable.
- It is not recommended to place stones in the tarantula spider terrarium, as the insect can be injured.
- The size of the terrarium is calculated as follows: the length of the legs of the spider is multiplied by two. For example, the length of the legs of an adult spider is 14 cm.
- In this case, the size of the "house" should be 30 × 30 × 20 cm. At the same time, 20 cm is a safe height for the tarantula.
- Be sure to make ventilation holes on the sides and top.
- The bottom is covered with soil, branches are placed for wood spiders.
- For a mantis, a vertical-shaped terrarium is suitable.
- Pour the soil to the bottom, and lay a layer of foliage on top. If the foliage is large, additional shelter is not required.
- Humidity should not be too high, spraying is not recommended often.
- The temperature in the terrarium is 25 ° C.
- Terrarium should not be placed in direct sunlight.
- Ventilation is required.
Terrarium for ants:
- For keeping unusual pets a narrow flat tank is required.
- Sometimes 2 cans are used to keep an ant farm so that one enters the other. Both banks are closed with lids. The ant family is located in the space between the banks.
- The terrarium for ants is called formicaria. Sand or a special gel containing additives for ants is poured inside.
- Some collect ants in the forest, and there they gain ground.
Terrarium for Madagascar cockroaches:
- If the terrarium for Madagascar cockroaches is not equipped with a lid, then grease its walls with petroleum jelly so that the insects do not run away. It is better to cover the dwelling of Madagascar cockroaches with a lid with holes.
- There must be many shelters inside. To do this, use egg trays, cockroaches love them for the presence of cells, toilet paper sleeves, pottery splinters, wood.
- The flooring should be made of fragrant wood with sand. Wood is preferably coniferous; periodically change it.
The content of Madagascar cockroaches
How to make and arrange a terrarium for rodents, a hamster?
In most cases, rodents, including hamsters, are kept in cages. Rodents can also be kept in terrariums, providing air access.
Terrariums for hamsters can be made of plastic. They have several advantages over the cell:
- Firstly, sawdust does not fall out of terrariums;
- Secondly, at night you can not hear the hamster chewing on the bars of the cage.
The hamster can be kept in a terrarium of different sizes, the size of the pet should be taken into account. If there is an equipped "home", the pet will feel quite comfortable.
How to arrange a terrarium for a hamster:
- Cover the bottom with sawdust or hay;
- Put a drum or wheel, feeder, drinking bowl;
- It is also necessary to have dry twigs and sticks, the hamster will sharpen its teeth.
Comfortable hamster house
What helps maintain moisture in the terrarium?
The maintenance of many exotic pets requires a certain level of humidity in the terrarium. For some animals, high humidity is shown, for others, humidity is contraindicated. For example, hamsters will feel great in dry sawdust, Achatina snails need a wet extract, praying mantises will not be able to survive if there are drops from condensation in the terrarium.
Important: The easiest way to maintain moisture in the terrarium is to spray the soil with spray water.
The required soil moisture for pets is different:
- Moisture for Achatina snails is checked in this way. squeeze a handful of soil in your hand, if water drips, then the soil is waterlogged. Achatina snails react negatively to high humidity: they fall into hibernation, become lethargic, and lose their appetite.
- Moisture is also important for ants. The level of sufficient moisture in formicaria can be determined as follows: if perspiration appears on the walls, spraying is stopped.
- The soil in the mantis terrarium should be rarely sprayed. It should be slightly damp. How often this needs to be done is hard to say for sure, it depends on the air circulation in the terrarium.
- The optimal humidity level for the tarantula spider is 35-60%.
You can determine the exact humidity using hygrometer.
Hygrometer determines the humidity level in the terrarium
How to make a temperature of 33 degrees in a terrarium?
Important: Temperature is one of the most important requirements for maintaining a microclimate in a terrarium.
Terrarium animals are very sensitive to temperature extremes. All animals have their own biological needs for thermoregulation.
To maintain the temperature, various devices are used:
- Heating lamps;
- Floor mats;
- Ceramic heaters;
- Infrared lamps.
- Heating cords.
For scaly make warm areas. In these "sunny areas" the pets periodically warm up. Then crawl away to places with a lower temperature. Heating lamps are suitable for this. They should be placed so that the pet does not receive a burn from touching.
For snakes use heating mats under the ground, turtles are heated from above. To heat the snails use an heating pad, rugs.
The budget way of heating is to place a terrarium near heating batteries, heaters. But this method has a number of disadvantages that can affect the normal life cycle of animals. Nevertheless, it is better to use special devices for heating terrariums.
Important: It is possible and necessary to monitor the temperature in the terrarium with the help of a thermometer.
How to make and design a large terrarium from an aquarium for plants and flowers?
Terrarium is not only a "house" for your favorite pets. Plants can be grown in the terrarium. Terrariums with plants have many advantages:
- They are unpretentious in leaving.
- This is a luxurious element of the interior.
- Suitable for people with a minimum of free time and the desire to have indoor plants at home.
- A good alternative to flower pots.
Aquariums are a suitable basis for terrariums. But before filling it with soil and plants, you need to understand which plants are suitable for terrariums:
- Plants that prefer or easily tolerate shade.
- Dwarf plants. It is important that the plant does not outgrow the walls of the terrarium, otherwise the appearance will suffer through time.
- Plants that love moisture.
The plants that are most often grown in a terrarium are moss, cacti, succulents.
If you decide to make a terrarium with plants from the aquarium, take into account that the aquarium with soil will become very difficult. Therefore, do not place it on fragile tables. Also, such terrariums should not be placed under air conditioning or in close proximity to heating appliances.
Think in advance how the lighting will be respected. Direct sunlight is contraindicated to the terrarium, but darkness is also unacceptable. Optimal lighting. indirect diffused light. You can use special garden lamps.
Large terrarium for plants
Important: If you decide to use an old aquarium, wash it thoroughly with antibacterial agents or soap. Residues from dirt and bacteria can subsequently harm plants.
To equip the terrarium, in addition to plants, buy a soil mixture with drainage. It is desirable that additives of bog moss or sphagnum are present in the soil. You will also need pebbles (gravel), moss, all kinds of jewelry, as well as gloves.
The following layers are placed in the aquarium:
- Pebbles or gravel. You can add a handful of activated carbon, this will serve as additional drainage.
- Moss. A layer of moss will prevent subsidence and will retain moisture.
- Priming. The soil layer must be thick enough to fit the roots of the plants. Also, the thickness of the soil depends on the height of the aquarium.
- Plants. Plant the plants in the wells. Water the plants.
At the end, you can add decorative elements that do not suffer from excessive moisture. It can be any objects: shells, figures, coins. On this organization of the terrarium for plants is ready.
How to make and arrange a terrarium with your own hands from a can, bottle, plastic
Plant terrarium is called florarium. You can grow plants in a bottle or jar. Such a floral arrangement takes up very little space, but looks spectacular.
Growing plants in a jar or bottle is similar to growing plants in greenhouses. The presence of the walls of the tank allows you to maintain the necessary microclimate of the florarium. Banks with plants are covered with lids or left a small hole.
The disadvantage of growing plants in the bank is the difficulty of care. Cleaning the florarium, getting rid of dead plants can be quite troublesome. But, nevertheless, this does not stop connoisseurs of florarium.
For florarium, you can use both glass bottles and plastic ones. Plastic containers are inferior to glass ones in their characteristics and appearance. Capacity does not have to be in the form of a jar. It can be vases, caps for serving, large glasses, etc.
Important: Do not grow plants incompatible with each other. For example, succulents and ferns. These plants are opposite in terms of watering requirements, so there is a risk that the florarium will deteriorate.
In addition to evergreen exotic plants, you can grow a single flowering plant in a jar. Recently, it has been fashionable to present such floral arrangements. The advantage of such a gift is its durability. You can, of course, give a flower in a pot, but the florarium looks more impressive and stylish.
Florariums are used to decorate home and office interiors. A series or series of florariums originally looks.
The process of planting plants in a jar or bottle is essentially the same as planting plants in an aquarium. However, planting plants in a container with a narrow neck is painstaking work.
How to plant plants in a bottle or jar:
- First, layers are poured in the same order as in the aquarium: pebbles, moss, soil.
- Use a narrow long stick to make indentations.
- Carefully remove the plants along with the roots from the pots in which they were sold.
- With two long sticks, place the plants in the wells.
It’s easy to take care of the terrarium: it is enough to water the plants as the soil dries, and also to wipe the dust from the cans inside and out. If there are no problems with dusting from the outside, then many may be puzzled. how to wipe the dust inside the terrarium? This is not difficult: you can wrap a piece of soft sponge on a flexible wire that can easily cope with dirt. A soft-bristled toothbrush is also suitable if it fits your terrarium.
How to make and design an eternal mini terrarium from a light bulb?
The terrariums from light bulbs look original and stylish. For the manufacture of such a terrarium, the most ordinary bulbs of different sizes are suitable. To begin, we recommend trying to work with the largest size bulb.
- Large light bulb;
- Round pliers;
- Long tweezers.
Be sure to protect your eyes with glasses, as pieces of glass may fly off during operation.
- Remove the metal seal on the bulb socket.
- Then, using a screwdriver, very carefully break the inside of the bulb.
- Use a long pair of tweezers to remove the “insides”.
- Work the hole well with a screwdriver so that there are no sharp edges.
- For the stability of the light bulb, make legs by dropping 2-4 drops of silicone glue.
- Now pour sand, dry moss through the funnel, place the plants with long tweezers.
- As a decor, you can use small pebbles and plastic figures.
- A mini terrarium from a light bulb can be put on a stand. This will make it even more spectacular.
Mini terrarium in a light bulb
Ideas for hanging and table terrariums: photos
Below you will find ideas of plant terrariums of various configurations and with different plants. Get inspired to create beautiful and unusual home decorations with your own hands.
A small terrarium in a glass cup is perfect for decorating your desktop.
Convenient are hanging terrariums of different sizes.
Even teapots can be used, the main thing is to make imagination.
Some flowering plants will feel great in beautiful terrariums.
Decorative terrarium in a round bowl.
A table terrarium will decorate any interior.
Small Table Terrarium Terrarium Idea
Making a terrarium for plants or animals is not difficult if you approach this issue with inspiration and the desire to create a useful and beautiful thing.