- 1. Terrarium
- 2. Heating mat
- 3. Shelter
- 4. Wet chamber
- 5. Calcium and Vitamins
- 7. Substat for terrarium
- 8. Drinking bowl
- 9. Feed insects
Recently, the maintenance of the house of leopard geckos (lat. Eublepharis macularius), or eublefars in another way, has become increasingly popular. If you are one of those who decided to get this wonderful lizard at home, then this article will help you to prepare for the arrival of your new friend at minimal cost. We will consider the minimum requirements for the necessary equipment, and I will give you recommendations on how to ensure that these requirements are met at the lowest cost.
So, you will need:
- Heating mat
- Wet chamber
- Calcium and Vitamins
- Timer for automatic on / off heating and lighting (optional, but highly recommended)
- Substat for terrarium
- Drinking bowl
- Feed insects
For keeping eublefar, classic terrariums for keeping reptiles (glass, combined chipboard glass and others) are suitable. Recommended minimum sizes for keeping 1 adult 40x30x30 (LxWxH). However, for the eublefar itself, from the point of view of comfort, a plastic container with suitable sizes is quite suitable. The sizes for adult eublefar have been written earlier, for ages up to 6-8 months a smaller size is suitable (focus on a volume of 10-15 liters). The key to preparing a home is proper diagonal ventilation (on the one hand below, on the other on the top). In more detail about this there is a separate article on my site, I recommend to look. The appearance of the prepared and populated container is visible in Figures 1 and 2, respectively.
Fig. 1. Preparing a Container for Check-In
Fig. 2. A container with everything you need
2. Heating mat
Under 1/3 of the container, it is necessary to provide heating up to 30-32 gr. C. This is necessary, first of all, to maintain the correct digestion and the necessary level of activity of our pet. In general, there are different ways to create a “warm corner” for a pet (thermal cord, thermal mat, heating with various lamps, etc.), but for the container, as in my example, I definitely recommend a heating mat. Examples of my options are shown in Fig. 3. At night, the heating must be turned off. For babies up to 4 months, you can leave the heating around the clock.
Fig. 3. Variants of thermal mats for 5 W and 7 W with Ali Express
Options for the manufacture of shelters can be very different. Basic requirements for shelter:
- The size of the shelter should allow your pet to accommodate in it, but at the same time the shelter should not be large, eublefar should “feel” the walls;
- Quick access to your pet if necessary. An ideal shelter is a shelter without a bottom, not attached to the terrarium itself. You should be able to get eublefar from shelter at any time without difficulty
- Safety for the pet: no sharp edges, no harmful chemical composition, etc.
The ideal shelter, in my opinion, is half a coconut, rice. four.
Fig. 4. Shelters from half a coconut. Ideal for eublefar.
4. Wet chamber
A wet chamber is necessary for eublefar to facilitate its molting process. The easiest option for a wet chamber is a plastic container that is suitable in size and has a cloth that absorbs moisture well from the bottom of the supermarket’s department. ALWAYS close the container with a lid in which a hole with a diameter of 5 cm has been made. The cloth is moistened every 5-7 days. Moisture condensation on the walls of the container is welcomed at the time of humidification, this is an indicator of the desired degree of humidification. In fig. 5 shows a variant of the described container without a lid with a hole. The lid is visible in the background: o)
Fig. 5. An example of the simplest and cheapest wet camera.
5. Calcium and Vitamins
The presence of calcium with D3 and the vitamin complex in your pet’s diet is a prerequisite for his health. There are 2 approaches in this matter:
- The use of a complex preparation that immediately contains all the necessary substances, for example REPASHYCalciumPlus (fig. 6). I highly recommend this approach to beginners, convenient and practical. If you have 1-2 eublefar, one jar is enough for a couple of years for sure, or even more: o) This medication is used at each feeding (pour a part of the preparation into a separate small container, roll off feed insects in it before each feeding)
- Separate use of calcium with D3 at each feeding and once a week use of a mixture of vitamins and calcium (1 part of vitamins to 2 parts of calcium). Example: calcium preparations Zoo Med Repti Calcium D3 and a complex of vitamins ZooMedReptivitewithout D3
Fig. 6. Recommended Drug REPASHY Calcium Plus
6. Timer for automatic on / off heating and lighting
For a comfortable existence, eublefar needs elevated temperatures in warm coal during the day, and at night cooler without heating (23-26 C). You can, of course, turn off the heating every evening, and turn it on in the morning. But, believe me, this quickly bothers and you begin to forget to do it. There are inexpensive (400-600 rubles) assistants to facilitate this task. automatic on / off timers for an electrical appliance. They themselves, at the right time, stop supplying voltage to the heating mat, and in the morning they turn on the heating themselves. For example, I have turned off the heating at 22-30 and the inclusion at 9-00. Examples of such timers are shown in Fig. 7.
Fig. 7. Options for automatic on / off timers. I personally have a model that is on the left in the picture.
7. Substat for terrarium
The logical question is what to put on the bottom of the container / terrarium with the content of eublefar (substat). If your pet is young (up to 6 months). I recommend keeping it on disposable paper towels that simply fit in one layer on the bottom of the container and, as they become soiled, change to new ones.
If eublefar is an adult, then the substate options depend on where you plan to feed:
- Feeding is carried out in the main container-terrarium. In this case, the main requirement for the substrate is its safety, since eublefar can (and will do this) swallow litter particles. The best options for this case are disposable paper towels, a grass rug, and large (1-2 cm) pebbles.
- If feeding is carried out in a separate container (as I do), then sand, small pebbles (see. Fig. 2) and other decorative bases can be used.
With any option, keep in mind. eublefar crap, albeit in one place, but it can soak into your base: o) In the case of sand, part of the soiled sand is removed and everything is beautiful again.
8. Drinking bowl
Fig. 8. Idle drinker for eublefar
9. Feed insects
Insects are used for feeding:
- Crickets (main food)
- Cockroaches Turkmen, marble, Argentine, etc. (main feed)
- Zofobas (as a bait)
- Brazhnitsy geese (as a bait)
You can use both live insects and frozen ones. For feeding, it is enough to have 1 type of main feed. If possible, pamper with other insects from the list, if this is not possible. not scary. In the near future I plan a separate article about the ideal feed object for eublefar. Visit my site, subscribe to the youtube channel.
On the YouTube channel, you can watch the material in this article in a compact video format: